Backyard bar-b-q’s and general fun outdoor festivities inspired our beverage. We visited a Mexican restaurant during Cinco de Mayo of 2014 where we experienced our first blackberry frozen margarita. During this visit we dined on the outdoor patio. Traditional margaritas are made strictly with tequila and very little flavoring. It was love at first sip with this flavorful beverage.
Since then we have thought about ways to put our own twist on it. We chose champagne because we wanted a bubbly drink and wanted to incorporate another form of alcohol that would not overpower the blackberry and pomegranate flavors. This light and refreshing drink should be served during the spring and summer months to compliment the outdoor activities that take place during these times. We used Jose Cuervo tequila and Andre Spumante champagne but you may feel free to choose any brands that you desire. We like to enjoy this beverage amongst a group of friends, but it is also perfect for family gatherings and romantic summer evenings with your special someone.
INGREDIENTS for two
- 1 cup blackberries + garnish
- Mint for garnish
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 oz pomegranate juice
- 4 oz champagne
- 2 oz tequila
- Mix 1 cup blackberries, lime juice, and pomegranate juice into a martini shaker. Using a large spoon, crush berries and stir mixture until juicy.
- Add tequila, cap the shaker, and shake until mixture is well combined.
- Divide champagne between two champagne or wine glasses. Uncap shaker and pour mixture into glasses.
- Garnish with three blackberries and some mint.
Video on How to Make Backyard Margarita Link
Created by A. Boeger and A. Stubbs